Vermont Business Magazine Phil Scott released a healthcare plan today detailing his approach for getting healthcare reform back on track and increasing affordable choices for families and businesses. “Over the last six years of one-party rule, healthcare costs have increased by well over twenty percent,” Scott said Wednesday. “To get healthcare costs under control, Vermont needs to be honest about the scope of the challenge,” Scott said. “Politicians have been promising quick-fixes for far too long. The reality is, we will not be able to fix the problem on day one, and it is going to take focus and discipline to get healthcare reform back on track.”
“My Administration will be focused on expanding affordable options for families and small businesses, getting Medicaid and long-term care costs under control, and putting comprehensive healthcare reform back on track as quickly and responsibly as possible,” Scott added. “And we can start by solving the problems with Vermont Health Connect and giving Vermonters more affordable insurance choices.”
To put the state back on a track toward affordable healthcare for everyone, Scott’s plan includes, but is not limited to:
- Setting a clear, results-focused goal of offering every Vermonter affordable health care choices.
- Fully implementing, and enforcing, the law requiring price transparency in Vermont’s healthcare system. This will enable Vermonters to make better and more informed choices about their care.
- Lobbying the federal government to amend the federal Affordable Care Act to allow Vermonters to purchase insurance across state lines, while maintaining our commitment to consumer protections and parity.
- Work with the Green Mountain Care Board and providers to expedite a logical transition to a payment system that fairly compensates providers for treatment that emphasizes quality and outcomes, not just the amount of care they deliver.
- Coordinating with Vermont’s insurers and small businesses to reform our insurance marketplace so there are products that better reward Vermonters for personal responsibility, wellness and healthy choices.
- Eliminating the legal necessity for providers to practice “defensive medicine” that increases costs on patients.
Among other provisions, Scott’s plan also calls for containing Medicaid and long-term care costs under control. Read Phil Scott’s full plan at http://www.philscott.org/position-papers/affordable-accessible-healthcare/.
Phil Scott: Listening, Learning & Leading
Phil Scott has been a consistent voice of reason and common sense in Montpelier. As the only Republican elected to statewide office, Phil has shown determination and leadership in advocating for Vermonters, fighting for affordability and promoting policies and programs that benefit Vermont families and the economy. Read about Phil Scott’s plans at www.philscott.org
Source: Scott campaign 9.7.2016